This iconic luxury fashion brand was founded in 1947 by Christian Dior. And since then, Dior pioneered a new style of elegant dressing, especially when they released their New Look collection of that year. The fashion brand’s design blends classicism and modernity. And they indeed defined a decade, and they were able to maintain some of the most striking and iconic looks and fashion trends to date. That is why, since the 40s, Dior has become one of the highly regarded, sought after and most fashion companies in the world. But even of Dior is one of the most well-known luxury fashion brands in the world, some of us know very little about the things it has gone through to achieve its status today. That is why we are here to give you some interesting facts about the brand that you may not know.
- Iconic townhouse – The townhouse that is located on 30th Avenue in Montaigne, Paris, is now an iconic address because it is the home and headquarters of the Dior label. This was their very first store, and it was chosen because it is near to a large hotel which has guests coming in and out from all over the world.
- Miss Dior – Christian Dior decided to name his first perfume “Miss Dior” after his younger sister, Catherine. Christian Dior was inspired to make a perfume line because it reminded him of his siblings’ memories of their flower garden. This is why the said perfume had primarily floral notes, and today, it has been one of the most iconic fragrances in the beauty industry.
- Yves Saint Laurent Connection – The now-iconic designer, Yves Saint Laurent, used to work for Christian Dior as his design assistant when he was just 19 years old. This is why two years after Christian Dior died from a heart attack, Yves Saint Laurent was appointed as the company’s new artistic director.
- Flowery Obsession – Gardens and floral designs were a constant inspiration to Christian Dior himself. That is why in almost all of their collection, you will be able to see a floral print on their runway or collection.
- Lady Dior – This is the name of the most famous bag that was made by Dior. The Lady Dior bags were first introduced in 1995, and it was called the “Lady Dior” because it was a tribute to Princess Diana, who is always seen carrying this bag model. The Lady Dior bag has dangling gold letters because Christian Dior personally loved lucky charms.
- Girl Power – After seven long daces of having male couturiers like Christian Dior’s artistic director, the company finally hired Maria Grazia Chiuri as their first female creative director.
- Haute Couture Label – Dior is just one of the few design houses that recognizes itself as an Haute Couture Label. In fact, Dior showcases two collections every year, one in July and one in January. These collections both have daytime and formal evening wear. Christian Dior made sure that only the finest materials are supposed to be used in all of their clothes.
- The Bar Jacket – This jacket has got to be one of Christian Dior’s most famous pieces that came from their original New Look collection. The bar jacket follows the curves of the woman’s bust, and it is nipped in at the waist. Christian Dior said that the coat was made to give form to the female shape.
- Iconic Debut – in 1947, Christian Dior showcased his debut collection, which has over 90 different styles. Harper’s Bazaar’s editor-in-chief was the one who hailed it as the “New Look” collection. It is made of tops and dresses that are nipped at the waist, which gives a very striking feminine silhouette. The collection was said to offer a radical departure from the post-world war rationing and uniforms.
Lucky Charm – Christian Dior was a highly superstitious man. In fact, he never begins a show without consulting his tarot card reader first so that he could determine which day would be the best to release his latest collection. On his first show, Christian Dior slipped a dried lily to every hem of the dresses as his lucky charm.