Dolce and Gabbana are one of the most recognizable brands when it comes to the luxury fashion industry. This luxury fashion brand is based in Milan, Italy, and it was founded in 1985. It is still considered one of the most influential fashion brands out there. But, even if Dolce and Gabbana spent a considerable amount of time under the scrutiny of the public eye and in the spotlight, there are still some things that some people don’t know about them. That is why in this article, we are going to give you a list of the things you probably didn’t know about Dolce and Gabbana.
- Dolce was born in a small town in Italy- The other founder of Dolce and Gabbana, Domenico Dolce was born in PolizziGenerosa, which is a small town that is located in the Sicilian hillside.
- Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana met each other in a nightclub – The now-iconic fashion moguls met in a nightclub in Milan, Italy. During that time, Stefano Gabbana was working as a graphic designer, and he said that Domenico Dolce dressed like a priest on the night he met him.
- Both of them are rooted in their identities – Stefano Gabbana has always emphasized how important identity is for their brand. That is why, instead of focusing on the trends and skirt lengths, they believe that the important thing to have is a specific stylistic identity. Gabbana stated that everything he and Dolce have created has been rooted in love.
- Dolce and Gabbana’s first boutique was in Tokyo, Japan – in 1989, Dolce and Gabbana opened their first boutique together. But instead of opening it in Milan or somewhere in Italy, they chose to open their very first boutique in Tokyo, Japan.
- Dolce and Gabbana is the official sponsor of the National Football Team of Italy – The company has been the official sponsor of the football team since 2006. Since then, they have been providing athletic wear, formalwear, and even the accessories of the team.
- Dolce and Gabbana have a history with Madonna – in 1993, Dolce and Gabbana designed and created all of Madonna’s costumes for her Girlie Show tour. After some time, both designers asked Madonna if she could be on their ad campaign, and the pop icon agreed. Hence, her appearance at Dolce and Gabbana’s ad campaign in 2010.
- Domenico Dolce designed his first piece when he was just six years old – You read that right, Domenico Dolce was only a six-year-old when he made his first piece of clothing. It happened to be a pair of trousers. Domenico Dolce probably got his talent in making clothes from his father because he was a known tailor. Domenico Dolce practically grew up surrounded by sewing machines and clothing.
- Dolce and Gabbana got experimental with Velcro – Two years after they presented their first collection, Dolce and Gabbana thought of something revolutionary that will make themselves stand out. It was a collection they called Transformismo, and it was mostly comprised of reversible dresses that have Velcro tabs.
- Dolce and Gabbana Shoots and Directs their own campaigns – Back then, the luxury fashion brand has worked with several well-known photographers. But today, Dolce and Gabbana use their won skills and impressively directs and shoots their own campaigns to represent their brand.
- Dolce and Gabbana released one of the most controversial fashion ads in fashion history – Dolce and Gabbana released an advertisement in 2007, which featured a man holding a woman to the ground while several other men surrounded her. Critics said that the ad aimed to humiliate a woman, and it stirred much controversy during that time.
Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana released a song – You read that again right. The fashion moguls released a single in 1996. The song featured the phrase “D&G is love” that is repeated over a techno beat.